Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How Do We Focus The Mind?


Day Seven- May 18, 2010 8am-3:30

Woke up late today! That didn't start the day off on the right foot, but I managed to pull off my morning routine in half the time, which is pretty impressive on my part. Although, today my coffee had sugar in it, rather than my normal sugar with coffee. Despite this minor setback I walked into my first 7th grade class ready to go over their riddle sheet on multiple step equations. The riddle sheets are an interesting tactic in trying to encourage kids to do their homework. I think the point of the riddles are to engage students by giving them a reason to actually solve the equations. Even though that is why they were created, in my opinion, they get the same job done, but in a different way. For instance I think it engages the students not because they want to solve the riddle for a laugh, but rather to laugh at how bad the riddle is and complain about it the next day. Bottom line, homework is getting done and I don't think they even realized it was work.
The 7th grade honors course had a challenging homework that stumped most, but once we went over the concept of squaring the equation to get rid of the square root "protecting" the variable they understood immediately. Which is typical of the evil geniuses in the class. They also took a practice "red test" which is a challenging final test of their knowledge on solving equation concepts. The 8th grade honors class caught up with the 7th graders and did exactly the same thing today. However, Mr Sperling was late to our last class because of a meeting so I stepped in for a little. Gaining control of a group of ~15 students is way more difficult than I thought, especially when there are trouble makers in the class. I attempted to get them to settle down and start class by getting out their homework. Many listened and quickly got out their homework and sat quietly while others continued to talk and not get their homework out.
This is where I get confused. I know I'm not their friend I'm their teacher, I need to gain control, I need to make them listen, but do I yell? Do I single one out? Do I embarrass them by comparing them to students who are doing the right thing? There are so many ways of getting kids to quiet down, but I don't know my style yet. I hate being the disciplinary because I remember being that age and not wanting to learn, not wanting to pay attention. I guess what I want to happen is for the kids to respect me enough as a person to gain their attention without any hassle. For some this is actually a reasonable request, while others don't quite grasp it.
I find myself giving mini inspirational talks to the individual who then understands that they should start focusing if they want to go somewhere in life. Somewhat harsh, but it tends to do the trick, one student even started doing his homework and showing his work. (He is smart enough to be in the advanced class, but doesn't do the work, who does that remind you of?) Now with the improvement there is no doubt he will be moving up next year. Maybe my inspiration gave him that extra kick in the butt to challenge himself, which I regret not doing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment